Can I Use This Money?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Mahmoodiyah



Ten months ago, I purchased goods for R250 from a national chain store on account. However, these goods were never charged to my account. I have gone on numerous occasions to the store to try and iron out the mistake. They have faxed the invoice to their head office to rectify the error but still these amounts remain uncharged. I have paid the amount owing despite it not being charged and because of this my account is R250 in credit and the store is now paying me interest.

Kindly advise

1. Can I make use of the credit of R250 as I have tried to sort out the problem but the store just cannot reconcile this error. The fault does not lie with me. 2. If I cannot use this credit, how do I stop the interest from accumulating.





Whatever amount of interest has accrued on your account should be given in Sadaqah from your side with the intention of freeing ones self from this Haraam money.  In this way the interest money in the account will remain yours and you will be able to spend it as you wish.  It will be better for you not use the R250 that is in the account as there is a possibility that the store will reconcile their accounts and adjust it accordingly.  If you make use of this amount you will have to repay the amount when prompted and you may have to pay interest on the amount overdue.

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

Mufti Muhammad Ashraf

Darul Iftaa

Jameah Mahmoodiyah


03 February 2005

23 Thul Hijjah 1425

This answer was collected in 2012 from the website of Jameah Mahmoodiyah, South Africa. The original website no longer exists.

Find more answers indexed from: Mahmoodiyah
Read more answers with similar topics:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest