Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah
1. I wanted to know according to Islam is smoking regarded, according to the scholars, Haraam or Makrooh?
2. Does it depend on the amount taken?
3. Are Salafis part of the Ahle Sunnah wal Jamaat?
4. Is it permissible to study books written by Salafis according to the Salafi way in order to gain knowledge?
Jazakallahu Khairan and may Allah Ta’ala bless you for your work. (AAMEEN)
1-2) No one can deny the harms of smoking to the human body. Medical evidence has established this fact beyond a shadow of doubt. The harms are as follows:
1) The cigarette contains poisonous materials, e.g. nicotine, tar, etc. These gases are killers.
2) Causes a bad odour to emanate from the mouth of the smoker.
3) Causes disturbances to others when performing Salaah in congregation.
4) Rasoolullah (S.A.W.) has said: “Whosoever eats garlic or onion, let him avoid us and our Masjid, and stay in his home. The angels are surely hurt by things that hurt the human beings.” (Bukhari and Muslim)
5) Smoking is harmful to the mind and body. The smoker is constantly craving- making it hard to work, concentrate, etc.
6) Causes irritation, insomnia, excitability, nervousness, etc. hence instead of being Allah’s slave, a smoker becomes slave to his cigarette.
7) A smoker endangers his family’s health as well as that of none-smokers.
The Fuqahaa (Jurists) have stated that it is Makrooh Tahrimi to smoke due to the harm caused to the body. This ruling applies to every such thing which has a negative effect on the body. (Fataawaa Aalamgeeri, Vol. 5, Page 340. Fataawaa Mahmoodiyah, Vol. 5, Page 122)
3) Please refer to fatwa no. 310/04.
And Allah Ta’ala knows best
Ebrahim bin Zainul Abedeen Backus
Attested to as correct by:
Mufti Muhammad Ashraf
15 January 2005
04 Thul Hijjah 1425