1

A follow up query regarding a narration on the will of Allah Ta’ala

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com
Prev Question
Next Question

Question

The following has been attributed to the words of Imam Ghazali (rahimahullah).

“O Dawud, you want and I want, so if you submit to what I want, I will take care of what you want. And if you don’t submit to what I want, I will exhaust you in what you want, and then you will only get what I want”

Are these the words of Imam Ghazali, a Hadith or the words of Allah Ta’ala?

Answer

These are not the words of Imam Ghazali (rahimahullah) nor are they a Hadith of Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). Imam Ghazali (rahimahullah) has cited this narration as a Hadith Qudsi that Allah revealed to Nabi Dawud (‘alayhis salam), without any chain.

(Ihya ‘Ulumid Din, vol. 8 pg. 533)

Imam Hakim Tirmidhi (rahimahullah) has recorded a very similar narration on the authority of Hasan Al Basri (rahimahullah) who reported that Allah Ta’ala revealed to Dawud (‘alayhis salam).

(Nawadirul Usul, Hadith: 732 and 1597)

See this version and the authenticity here.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist.