There is nothing equal to fasting in reward

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

Is this authentic?

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘You must fast, for there is nothing equal to it in reward’

Answer

Imam Nasai (rahimahullah) has recorded this Hadith on the authority of Sayyiduna Abu Umamah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) who asked Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), ‘Inform me of some deed which I can do’. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘Hold on to fasting, for there is nothing like it’

(Sunan Nasai, Al Mujtaba, Hadith: 2220)

Hafiz Ibn Hajar (rahimahullah) has declared the chain of narrators of Imam Nasai authentic.

(Fathul Bari, under Hadith: 1894)

Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahumallah) has also declared a longer version of this Hadith authentic. This version goes on to mention that ‘[Since then] smoke would never be seen during the day at the home of Sayyiduna Abu Umamah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) except if he had guests [implying that he would never cook food during the day since he was fasting]’

(Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al Ihsan, Hadith: 3425. Also  see Footnotes of Shaykh Muhammad ‘Awwamah on Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 8988)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com