The example of those who seek knowledge, benefit from it and convey it to others

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

What is the authenticity of the following narration?

Sayyiduna Abu Musa (radiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

“The example of the guidance and knowledge which Allah has sent me with is like torrential rain which fell on a land. A fertile portion of it absorbed the water and caused abundant grass and vegetation to grow.

[The second type of land] was a portion of ground which was hard and rocky which retained the water [and did not absorb it], through which Allah Ta’ala caused others to benefit. They drank from it, gave their animals water and irrigated their crops.
[The third type of land] was barren; it could neither retain the water nor cause the crops to grow.
[The first type of land] is the example of the person who gained an understanding in the Din of Allah and benefits from that with which Allah has sent me. He acquires knowledge and teaches others. [The third type of land] is the example of the person who pays no attention [shows no regard/importance] to [the knowledge of Din] nor did he accept the guidance of Allah which I have been sent with”

Answer

Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim (rahimahumallah) have recorded this narration on the authority of Sayyiduna Abu Musa Al Ash’ari (radiyallahu ‘anhu). The Hadith is therefore authentic.

(Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 79 and Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 2282)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com