Medication containing unlawful products.

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by DarulUloomTT.net

Question:

I have recently been prescribed some medication that contains ‘pre-gelatinised maize starch’ and if possible I would really rather avoid such products in my diet. However, my GP prescribed me these tablets and I do feel the need to have started taking them already.

What do I do? What are the penalties for taking haram substances as part of medicative treatment? Is the offence very grave in the sight of Allah (SWT)?

Answer:

Based on the teachings of the Quraan and Sunnah, the Fuqaha (jurists) of Islam have allowed the use of medication containing unlawful products only when an alternate lawful one cannot be found. This allowance is given only when a person cannot find a medication that is deemed to be lawful and his/her doctor believes that a certain medication MUST be used, since it has the necessary active ingredients to help the patient. If taking such medication is not deemed a necessity or leaving it does not cause any harm or increase in the sickness then it would not be permissible to use.

Based on this explanation, if one has valid reasons for using such medication, then there will be no penalties in Islam and it will not be grave in the sight of Allah.

And Allah knows best.
Mufti Waseem Khan

This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

Find more answers indexed from: DarulUloomTT.net