Home » Hanafi Fiqh » DarulIftaBirmingham » Salah in Front of a Statue

Salah in Front of a Statue

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by DarulIftaBirmingham

Answered by: Maulana Nazrul Islam

Question:

I have started a new job and the way I pray there is a table and then after it, there is a fireplace. The fireplace has the statue of a lion. I have just realised that now. Can you please advise if my salah is valid and if not what I can do?

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Answer:

To pray Salah while having a statue in front of a person, to the right, left, place of Sajdah, or above his head will be Makrooh Tahrimi (prohibitively disliked). (1)

Your past prayers will be valid as you were unaware of the situation and there’s no need to repeat it. (1)

However, a person is not allowed to pray in front of a statue intentionally. (1)

Only Allah knows best.

Written by Maulana Nazrul Islam

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

(1)

وان يكون فوق رأسه وبين يديه أو بحذائه يمينة او يسيرة او محل سجوده تمثال

در المختار ص٨٨ فى باب كراهة الصلوة، دار الكتب العلمية

إمداد الفتاوى ،ج١، ص٣٤٧

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.

Since last year, I have been trying to become a very good Muslimah, and I learned many things about Islam from last year than any other year. Since 6th grade, I made a friend that is a boy, non-Muslim (please do not confuse this as boyfriend, but he is a friend that is a boy). I am in 8th grade right now and he has become one of my best friends. Starting last year, around September, I had no idea that I was not allowed to be friends with the opposite gender. I started freaking out and told him my situation (how I could not talk to boys). He understood me and I asked him, “Let’s not talk anymore.” He said okay. But, we have 2 classes together, so after 2 or 3 days, we started talking again. I kept asking Allah (SWT) for forgiveness. And I asked him (the boy) that we should stop talking, and he said okay. But we kept talking to each other after a while. I asked for Allah’s (SWT) forgiveness so many times. It is really hard for me to stop talking to him as he is unable to stop talking to me. I know that talking to him is a sin, but it is really hard for me to stop talking to someone I have known for 3 years. Now, I feel like I am getting waswasah as well. He will leave my school next year, so I keep thinking, “It’s our last year together.” Please, I have asked many people, and they just say, “Explain to him your situation and he will understand” or “Just stop talking to him” or ” Hang out with your other girl-friends”. I can hang out with my other girl friends, but all my girl friends are his friends also. Yes, saying it is easy, but actually doing it is hard in my situation. I know that girls and guys cannot be friends because zina might occur, but we are not like that. I do not flirt with him or anything. What should I do? I need help! Should I gradually stop talking to him until he leaves school next year? Thank you so much for your help and I hope Allah (SWT) will forgive me. My intention is not to reveal my sin, but to ask a knowledgeable person who will be able to help me out with my situation.