Can I pay bribe with haram money?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by
I am a salaried person and company deducts income tax from our salary and pays it to the goverment. We have to submit a income tax certificate, which company gives us at the end of every financial year, to the goverment. I worked for two companies during April,2005 to March,2006 and I forgot to submit income tax certificate for the first company, althogh my company had deducted income tax from my salary and paid to indian government. I recived a notice from income tax department stating that I had to produce certificate of the first company within 7 days.Although I was late to produce it, but income tax official was demanding money as bribe to accept it and do necessary correction. Initially he was demanding Rs 10,000/- but later on Rs 5,000 was settled. Please let me know whether I can pay this bribe from haram money e.g. bank interest or there is any other way to do it.


(Fatwa: 1030/1030=M/1430)


Bribe cannot be paid with interest money. The interest received from a bank should be distributed among the poor without an intention of reward:

لان سبیل الکسب الخبیث التصدق (الشامي)

Allah (Subhana Wa Ta’ala) knows Best

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest