Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » Husband’s biological father my mahram? Step-grandfather? Parent marry their child’s in-law? Salaat with a female Imam?

Husband’s biological father my mahram? Step-grandfather? Parent marry their child’s in-law? Salaat with a female Imam?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

As salaamu’alaikum, please answer the following: 1)Is my husband’s father, who had him illegitimately, considered a mahram to me? 2)Is my husband’s maternal step-grandfather (mother’s step father) my mahram? 3)May a father marry his child’s mother-in-law (and vice versa)? 4) The girls at school offer salaat in jamaat among themselves at the musallah, citing the fact that Aisha (R.A) had done the same in a gathering of women only. What is the ruling on this? Is it allowed under any circumstances?

Answer

1. Yes, he is a Mahram to you since you cannot marry him.
2. No, he is not your Mahram and it will be permissible to marry him.
3. Yes, it is permissible, since they are not Mahram to one another.
4. According to the Hanafi Madhab, it is Makrooh-e-Tahrimi for women to
perform Salaat with Jamaat. The opinion that Aaisha (Radhiallaahu Anha) did
so in a gathering, needs authentic substantiation. This practice may well
lead towards unwanted problems and difficult situation, therefore, it is
necessary to immediately shun away such practices. The girls may read their
Salaat individually, on their own.