I got a book named ” THE ROAD TO MECCA” which is auto biography of an european revert to islam MUHAMMAD ASAD who has also written a famous translation of quran. May I read the book “THE ROAD TO MECCA” or not??? Please advise.
In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
The author in reference holds extremely problematic beliefs that are not in accordance to the beliefs of the Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaa’ah. Hence, it would be best to avoid all his works.
Hereunder, we list a few of his deviated beliefs:
- Muhammad Asad was a perennialist, i.e. followers of other religions will also be successful in the Hereafter.
- Jinns are legends.
- Prophets are not innocent and are fallible.
- Sayyiduna ‘Isa (‘Alaihis salaam) has already passed away. Hence, he will not return.
- Sayyiduna ‘Isa (‘Alaihis salaam) did not give life to people or treat them.
- Sayyiduna Moosa (‘Alaihis salaam) did not split the Red Sea.
- Birds did not attack Abrahah and his army of elephants.
- The angels did not aid the Muslims in the battles.
- He denies miracles. Any verse which denotes miracles are all metaphorical.
It should be noted that Muhammad Asad was greatly influenced by Rashid Ridha, Muhammad ‘Abdo and their likes.
And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best
Muajul I. Chowdhury
Student, Darul Iftaa
Astoria, New York, USA
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.