Is kefir Sunnah?

Assalamu alaykum 

My question is regarding a fermented milk drink called kefir. a culture of bacteria and yeast is used, added to fresh milk, left at room temperature for about 24-48 hours. this drink is delicious and has many health benefits . I came across some sources, where the history of this culture was discussed and it said that kefir grains (as the cultured is referred to) , had been handed over to our prophet muhammad saws by Allah and that it had been passed down generations till the Russians were able to acquire it from a Caucasus Muslim prince by the name of Bek-Mirza Barchorov.  my question is, are these kefir “grains” that ferment milk mentioned in islamic literature? do we believe in these grains given to our beloved rasulAllah saws by Allah almighty? 

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

We haven’t come across any authentic narrations citing the incident above. For more information regarding kefir milk, please refer to the following link,

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/36616

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Huzaifah Deedat

Student Darul Iftaa
Lusaka, Zambia 

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Husain Kadodia.