Q: I have some doubts regarding fishing, which I would like you to please clear.
1. Is permissible or haraam to fish without the intention of eating/selling/giving away the fish, that is the fisherman practise catch and release.
2. If the above is not permissible, would it be permissible for me to only take home the smaller fish, as I live alone and have no use for the larger fish.
3. If (1) and (2) are not permissible, what may I do with my fishing equipment. May it be sold or given away?
1. This is not permissible as it is causing pain to a creation for no reason.
2. Give the larger fish to someone else to eat.
3. You may use it to catch fish for the purpose of eating, selling or giving others to eat.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Checked & Approved: