Home » Shafi'i Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » I Was Married Before I Entered Islam. Can I Marry Now That I Am Muslim?

I Was Married Before I Entered Islam. Can I Marry Now That I Am Muslim?

Answered by Ustadha Raidah Shah Idil

Question: Assalam aleykum,

I converted to Islam a few years ago. When I was Christian, I was married but have been separated from my husband for several years. Can I get married, now that I am Muslim?

Answer: Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray this finds you well. Alhamdulilah, welcome to the fold of Islam! May Allah bring you ever closer to Him.

Separation

Is your first marriage annulled? I strongly encourage you to get your divorce paperwork settled.

Marriage

It would be important for you to disclose to a potential husband that you were previously married, before you entered Islam. The right husband for you would appreciate your honesty.

It would be best for you to marry after your divorce paperwork is settled.

Please see:

Love, Marriage and Relationships in Islam: All Your Questions Answered

Wassalam,

[Ustadha] Raidah Shah Idil

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Ustadha Raidah Shah Idil has spent almost two years in Amman, Jordan, where she learned Shafi’i’ fiqh, Arabic, Seerah, Aqeedah, Tasawwuf, Tafsir and Tajweed. She continues to study with her Teachers in Malaysia and online through SeekersHub Global. She graduated with a Psychology and English degree from University of New South Wales, was a volunteer hospital chaplain for 5 years and has completed a Diploma of Counselling from the Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors. She lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, with her husband, daughter, and mother-in-law.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

1. “He who has a morning meal of seven ‘ajwa dates will not suffer harm that day through toxins or magic.” (Bukhari, Hadith 5327 and Muslim, Hadith 3814)2. ‘Aisha reported Allah’s Messenger as saying, “The ‘ajwah dates of al-‘Aliya contain healing, and they are an antidote (when taken as) first thing in the morning.” (Muslim, Hadith 3815)3. Aisha reported Allah’s Messenger as saying, “The ‘ajwah dates of al-‘Aliya taken as the first thing in the morning, in the state of fasting; contain healing for all (kinds of) magic or toxins.”(Musnad Ahmad, Hadith 23592)4. Narrated ‘Urwah: ‘Aisha used to order to make a habit of or taking in regular intervals seven ‘ajwah dates, in the state of fasting for seven mornings. (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shayba, Hadith 23945).I have a question on these hadiths. The first 2 hadiths state that the ajwa dates should be taken in the morning and the last 2 hadiths say they should be taken in the morning when fasting. Hadiths 3 and 4 probably refer to suhoor time if I’m correct . But Islamically, morning time begins at fajr time, and eating is prohibited at fajr time for the fasting person since this begins their fast. But a fasting person has suhoor which is before fajr time and is still considered as night time. My question is that why does the last 2 hadiths refer to suhoor as morning time when suhoor is eaten before morning time( or before fajr time) because Islamically morning time begins at fajr, and suhoor is still night time? And a fasting persons meal is eaten before the morning time Islamically.