Can a husband issue a divorce after the wife completed the Iddah period?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q. My husband gave me one revocable Talaaq and I sat for the Iddah period of three menstrual cycles, for about four Months. It is one year later and he wants to issue me a second and third Talaaq. Can he do that?

A. In the enquired case, if after the issuance of one Talaaq-e-Rajee (revocable divorce), your husband did not reconcile with you during the Iddah period and the Iddah period terminated, then the Nikah has terminated.

As you have observed the Iddah period without your husband reconciling, his issuance of a second and third Talaaq will be invalid as the bond of Nikah does not remain between the two of you.

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

This answer was collected from, which is a fatwa portal managed by Mufti Ismaeel Bassa from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!