Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Has Attending a Catholic Funeral Made Me a Disbeliever?

Has Attending a Catholic Funeral Made Me a Disbeliever?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat

Question: Assalamu alaykum

I attended a Catholic funeral of my husband’s family once and there was a priest who read stories, qoutes and prayers from the Bible. I read some prayers and qoutes from the Bible with them. I’m not sure why I did that but most likely because I was being nice and was scared they would find out we were Muslims and didn’t want them to say we were being rude by not talking or reading along. I do not believe what Catholics believe about Jesus at all.

Does this make me a non muslim?

Answer: Wa ‘alaykum as-salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh

I pray you are well.

You are still a Muslim. Imam Abu Ja’far al-Tahawi clearly mentions is his widely accepted creed that ‘Nothing removes a slave [of Allah] from belief except the denial of that which actually brought him into it in the first place.’ Having said this, it may have been improper conduct – especially if the words said were not reflective of our understanding of Allah – so it is best to ask Allah for forgiveness and avoid getting into the same situation again.

May Allah grant you the best of both worlds.

Wassalam,
[Shaykh] Abdul-Rahim Reasat

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.