How Should I Deal With Chronic Gas Problems in Prayer?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: Assalamu ‘alaykum,

I am dealing with continuous passing of wind issues. I know that I must pray while sitting. But what if I stand and pray with the assumption that I may not pass wind up to the end of the prayer, but nonetheless break my wudu during the prayer? Is my prayer invalid in this case?

Answer: Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

If you pass wind during the prayer, your prayer will be nullified. However, you should ignore misgivings and any feelings or sensations you may have, and continue praying unless you hear or smell something and are absolutely certain that something has exited.

The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and his Household and grant them peace) has said, “If any of you feels something in his stomach such that it is unclear to him whether something has come out or not, then he should certainly not leave the mosque, unless he hears a sound or smells an odour.” [Muslim]

Please also see: Should I Pray Sitting down Because of Excessive Gas? and: A Reader on Waswasa (Baseless Misgivings)

And Allah alone knows best.

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from: Seekersguidance.org