Is it Permissible to Pray for a Nonpracticing Muslim?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: Is it possible to pray for a beloved sister, who is born a muslim like me but does not practice Islam, to be guided towards Allah and towards a right path? She is good person, and deserves the best, but I know she can be happier if only she believed more in Allah.

Answer: Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are in the best of health and faith, insha’Allah.

It is permitted to pray for the guidance of non-Muslims.

However, not practicing Islam doesn’t make a person a disbeliever. [see: Does Neglecting the Prayer Entail Disbelief?]

Show her how beautiful the religion is by following the way of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) inwardly and outwardly as best you can, seeking an increase in all good in this life and the next.

Please see: Can We Pray for Non-Muslims Who Passed Away?

And Allah alone gives success.

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from: Seekersguidance.org