Non Muslim in the process of a gender change intends accepting Islam
Q: A non muslim person has made a firm intention to accept islam Alhamdulillah. The challenge is that this person has been undergoing a sex change to such an extent that all features are feminine including breasts and voice. The only procedure this person needs to undergo is the sex organ change.
- Should this person be advised to reverse the process or should this person be allowed to go ahead with the sex change. (If told not to there is a fear that he will turn away from Islam).
- Should the above be done after this person recites the shahadah or before?
- At this stage (before the sex organ change)is this person regarded as a male or a female considering all apparent features are feminine?
- Who should be allowed to interact with this person a muslim male or a female?
- What other advice can mufti sahib give regarding this matter?
A detailed response on the above matters with shar’ee citations will be greatly appreciated.
A: To go through a change in this manner is not only haraam, rather it is a great curse. In order to get his alignment right with Allah Ta`ala, he will need to make taubah and revert to his original state.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
وَلَأُضِلَّنَّهُمْ وَلَأُمَنِّيَنَّهُمْ وَلَآمُرَنَّهُمْ فَلَيُبَتِّكُنَّ آذَانَ الْأَنْعَامِ وَلَآمُرَنَّهُمْ فَلَيُغَيِّرُنَّ خَلْقَ اللَّـهِ وَمَن يَتَّخِذِ الشَّيْطَانَ وَلِيًّا مِّن دُونِ اللَّـهِ فَقَدْ خَسِرَ خُسْرَانًا مُّبِينًا ﴿النساء: ١١٩﴾
عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما قال لعن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم المتشبهين من الرجال بالنساء والمتشبهات من النساء بالرجال تابعه عمرو أخبرنا شعبة (صحيح البخاري # 5885)