Is it true that to do family planning due to fear of shortage of money, food etc. is Haraam and a major sin? Also please tell me the conditions in which one can do family planning.

Q: Is it true that to do family planning due to fear of shortage of money, food etc. is Haraam and a major sin? Also please tell me the conditions in which one can do family planning.

A: If one does not wish to have children due to the fear that one will not be able to provide sustenance for the child, then this is impermissible since Allah Ta’ala is the provider of sustenance. However, if one does not wish to have children due to the fear of one not being able to afford the unavoidable expenses that are incurred after having children (e.g. medical expenses), then one will not be sinful.

And Allah Ta’ala knows best.

وَمَا مِن دَابَّةٍ فِي الْأَرْضِ إِلَّا عَلَى اللَّـهِ رِزْقُهَا وَيَعْلَمُ مُسْتَقَرَّهَا وَمُسْتَوْدَعَهَا كُلٌّ فِي كِتَابٍ مُّبِينٍ ﴿هود: ٦﴾

وَلَا تَقْتُلُوا أَوْلَادَكُمْ خَشْيَةَ إِمْلَاقٍ ۖ نَّحْنُ نَرْزُقُهُمْ وَإِيَّاكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ قَتْلَهُمْ كَانَ خِطْئًا كَبِيرًا ﴿٣١﴾