Q: My husband has given me divorce in writing. He isn’t giving me any maintenance. I have to work to support my son. What are the rules for iddah:
1. Can I work in the daytime?
2. What about other rules of iddah?
3. My husband says that he now regrets. Can he remarry in iddah/after iddah? Please give the procedure.
1. Yes, if there is a genuine need and there is no other way for you to supplement an income.
2. When a woman has been issued with a talaaq-e-raj`ee, then she cannot leave her home until the expiry of the period of iddat nor can she marry anyone in this period. It is permissible for her to beautify and adorn herself. As for the woman who has been issued three talaaqs, or talaaq-e-baain then she cannot leave her home until the expiry of her iddat, she cannot marry anyone in this period and she cannot beautify or adorn herself. All these things are haraam upon her.
3. If he has issued just one or two divorces he can remarry even in the iddat.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)