Marital problems

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I am a divorced woman with 1 baby boy. My last marriage ended because my ex husband was draining me financially. He sent me a divorce as soon as our child was born. Life became very difficult and I was mentally upset for my child. I married again very quickly to the elder brother of a man my younger sister was engaged to. These people were also lower in status financially but we agreed to it because they were willing to take my son too. That man has turned out to be schizophrenic. He sleepwalks, tries to suffocate himself or me, assumes things and acts so scary that I feel concerned for our safety. He beats me, abuses me, tries to scare my son badly. I often find my son scratched in various places and scared. I am expecting another child now. He is using me entirely for money, treats me like a servant even though I am heavily pregnant and cant walk. I pay the bills, grocery. I even leave my kid with my sister sometimes because I feel too scared for what he witnesses. People of our society will kill me for another divorce and he is always threatning me with it. His entire family is like this and they want to beat me to the ground. They wont let me end my sisters engagement unless I want a divorce again. I am so badly stuck and I am always so afraid in his company. My son has also told me in broken language that he touches his private parts. Please help me! I am extremely worried and scared.


A: Move away from him and go and live with your parents.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)