Q: I am a grade 11 student and I want to pursue accounting after school. I am just concerned about whether being a charted accountant is permissible in Islam as it involves recording interest bearing transactions. The accountant is not involved in the actual interest bearing transaction but all he has to do is record it on, the businesses financial statements.
1. Is it permissible to become a charted accountant?
2. Is it permissible to take bursaries from large auditing firms in SA. They offer to pay for all your studies and you have to work with them for 3 years after you qualify. Is it permissible to work for these large auditing companies e.g. Deloitte and Tousche, PWC OR KPMG. They audit the books of large companies that also use interest.
3. Would mufti saheb suggest becoming a charted accountant?
1. If the work that this entails is all of a permissible nature then it is permissible.
2. For them to bind you up in this manner is not right.
3. I feel that you should consult someone who knows about this field and knows you better.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)