Muay thai

Q: I am interested in taking part in Muay thai as I wish to learn how to defend myself, I understand participants are asked to bow and to undertake exercises which are derived from religious rituals of Buddhism but I would not take part in either of these. Muay thai allow blows to the head however participants can wear gloves and pads which can offer protection from strikes and the face would not be hit. Is it halaal for me to take part in Muay thai?

A: Any art that has religious connotations, it is best to be avoided.