Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
How can I concentrate better in Salat and not think about random things?
Jazakumullahu Khayran / Thank you for your question.
May Allah shower His mercy upon you for your interest in improving your prayer.
Here are some recommendations that may facilitate better concentration in salat:
- Make sincere dua (supplication) to Allah for concentration
- Learn the translations and commentary of the commonly recited verses, supplications and adhkar (praises of Allah) that are part of salat
- Read the life biography of the pious and the description of how they performed prayers.
- Take out sufficient time to prepare for the prayer rather than rushing at the last moments
- Eliminate distractions (cell phones, screens, distracting surroundings, hunger etc.)
- Take prayer seriously. Be particular about all the specifics and formalities such as ablution, wearing dignified clothes, standing appropriately etc.
- Mentally visualize that you are standing before the Creator. Remember death, resurrection, judgment day and the forth coming realities.
- Bring the understanding that you are communicating with the Creator and He responds.
- Fix your sight at the appropriate places as mentioned through the prophetic teachings.
I pray Allah blesses us all with concentration in prayer.
And Allah Knows Best