Making Sabr On Bodily Defects

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Mahmoodiyah

Question:

Respected Mufti Sahib,

Assalamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I would like to know whether anyone with short-sightedness will be rewarded with patience and sickness in the light of following or some other related Hadith? And does the use of corrective spectacles preclude this reward?

Hadrat Anas bin Maa (R.A.) reports that he heard Rasoolullah (Sallallaahu alaiyhi Wassalaam) saying that Allah Ta’ala said, ‘If I deprive My slave of his two beloved possessions (i.e. his eyes) and he bears it patiently, I will let him enter Jannah in compensation for them. (Sahih Bukhari)

Wassalaam

Answer:

If anyone suffers from a physical weakness and he exercises patience without complaining, then in the light of the Hadith he will receive the reward promised.

The usage of artificial instruments in such instances does not preclude this reward, Insha Allah, as they do not totally replace natural organs and in most cases, the usage of these instruments is essential for living, making ‘Ibaadah and not disturbing other Muslims.

Rasoolullah (S.A.W.) permitted a certain Sahabi to have a nose made of gold when his nose was cut in battle.

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

Mufti Muhammad Ashraf

Darul Iftaa

Jameah Mahmoodiyah

Springs

24 May 2005

15 Rabee’uth Thaani 1426

This answer was collected in 2012 from the website of Jameah Mahmoodiyah, South Africa. The original website no longer exists.

Find more answers indexed from: Mahmoodiyah