Home » Hanafi Fiqh » DarulIftaBirmingham » Which Set of 10 Days Are More Virtuous Dhul Hijjah or Ramadan

Which Set of 10 Days Are More Virtuous Dhul Hijjah or Ramadan

Answered by: Maulana Imran Mughal

Question

Assalamu Alaikum Hazrat. Please confirm. Which, 10 days are more virtuous in the eyes of Allah?

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Answer

Some scholars lean towards the opinion that the first 10 days of Dhul Hijjah are better, however, the majority understand that the last ten days of Ramadan are more virtuous.

Scholars, later on, provided the third understanding to balance the two aforementioned opinions: the first ten days of Dhul Hijjah are more virtuous than the last ten days of Ramadan, however, the last ten nights of Ramadan are more virtuous than the first ten nights of Dhul Hijjah.

Seeing as the last ten of Ramadan include Laylatul Qadr, and the first ten of Dhul Hijjah include The Day of Arafah.[1]

And Allah SWT knows best.

Answered by Maulana Imran Mughal

Checked and approved Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

[1]Ibn Abidin, Raddul Muhtaar Darul Ma’rifah (2011), Volume 3 Page 603.

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.

11th October 2010 / 2nd Zul Qadah 1431 Assalamou alaikum Respected Mufti sahib, I live in England, United Kingdom. I am a widow, my husband passed away nearly 3 months ago. I have 9 sons and 2 daughters. My husband?s mother is also alive. My late husband was the owner of two houses. Some months prior to his death, my husband made me a joint owner in one of these properties. Upon the instructions of my late husband, a solicitor completed the legal paperwork and we both signed various documents in the presence of witnesses. After the death of my husband, my children requested a scholar to explain the rules of Islamic inheritance so we could distribute my husband?s wealth according to the Shariah. When the discussion arose about the joint ownership of one of the houses, the scholar was of the opinion that this transfer of joint ownership was not valid because it seemed to him that this was only done symbolically and not as a genuine gift. However, beside the legal paperwork there is no other document available to support or negate the intention of the deceased. The scholar also said that even if the above gift was genuine, this kind of gift is faasid because of the following rule of Hiba: ومن وهب شقصاً مشاعاً فالهبة فاسدةٌ، فإن قسمه وسلمه جاز ) الهداية شرح بداية المبتدي,ص225,ج3, الناشر المكتبة الإسلامية) Which in essence says, if the item is such that if it is divided it can still be of use, then it is not permissible to give it without dividing it. Such items are ?a plot of land, a big house…?. See Bahishti Zewar (link below) page 66 point 5 http://www.islamicbulletin.org/free_downloads/women/bahishti_4_5_6_7.pdf I would be grateful if you would clarify (a) whether a house in the UK falls within the category of divisible property; (b) whether according to the Shariah I am the rightful owner of 50% of the house which was in joint ownership between myself and my husband. Jazakallah