1

Is putting gravestones on the grave permissible?

Answered by:  Maulana Imran Mughal​

Question:

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah

I would like to know if putting a 12-inch marble gravestone with the deceased name, and date of birth is permissible in Islam? Some scholars say it is impermissible and bidah. While others saying a small marble headstone is allowed. Please, can you clarify this for me? Jazakumullahu khairan.

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم

In the name of ALLAH the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Answer:

Assalamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

It is permissible to place a gravestone above the grave for identification purposes.[1]Anything extra should be avoided.

This is due to the hadith of the Prophet (peace be upon him) where he placed a stone on the grave of Uthman bin Math’un (may Allah be pleased with him) and he said: “I am marking my brother’s grave with it, and I shall bury beside him those of my family who die.”[2]

Only Allah Ta’ala knows best

Written by Maulana Imran Mughal

Checked and approved by Ustadha Sabrina al-Faarsiyyah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

[1] Ibn Abidin, Ar-Radd al-Muhtar Ala Ad-Durr al-Mukhtar (Riyadh: Dar Alam al-Kutub, 2003), 3:144.

[2] Sunan Abu Dawud Hadith 3206.

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.