Can you please clarify the use of alcohol denat in perfumes and aftershaves? They say alcohol denat in made by mixing methyl alcohol into ethyl alcohol so as to change the quality and price of ethyl alcohol. It is denatured alcohol that is why they call it alcohol denat. I know ethyl alcohol is haram. Is alcohol denat haram too? Can we use it as perfumes and aftershaves?

Answer

(Fatwa: 366/L=161/TL=1434)

The alcohols nowadays are usually prepared by other than four haram drinks; therefore it is allowable to use such perfume or lotion in which alcohol contains but it is better to avoid. It should be noted that the issue of lotion is not as important as the case of shaving beard is, it is haram as per the Shariah and is not allowed at all.