Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Darulifta-Deoband.com » Should I obey my parents or live separately to please Allah?

Should I obey my parents or live separately to please Allah?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
I am in a situation. I am getting married very soon, in-shaAllah. After my nikah, with the girl, I plan to live separately from my parents. However, since I am the eldest in the family, and that my parents are really close to me, I think that when I tell them about this decision of mine to them, they would get really angry at me. I have read a few books of Hadhrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (RA) and he has advised to live separately from family, especially to avoid the trials and temptations of fitnah and behayaye which is common nowadays. Note also that there would be a non-mahram for my wife (my younger unmarried brother of marriageable age) if I decide to stay with my parents and the same house. Note that the country I am staying in is a non-Muslim country, and fitnah is very common here. If my parents do not agree to my decision, should I obey my parents in this instance to avoid the anger of Allah, or live separately to avoid fitnah to please Allah.


(Fatwa: 865/871/N=1433)

If it is difficult to maintain Shariah purdah while living with parents and there is fear of fitnah due to the situation of the age then you can live separately from your parents with your wife. It is lawful as per the Shariah. But you must serve your parents without the least negligence. If you would remain sincere then your parents shall not become angry or their anger shall come to an end soon. But if it is possible to maintain Shariah purdah while living with your parents and also there is no fear of any kind of fitnah and your would-be-wife is also ready for the same then you should live with your parents. In-shaAllah, it shall cause prosperity and blessings for this world and the hereafter.

Allah (Subhana Wa Ta’ala) knows Best

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Read answers with similar topics: