Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Darulifta-Deoband.com » Can I marry a Christian girl who is a divorcee and 3 years older than me?

Can I marry a Christian girl who is a divorcee and 3 years older than me?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
I want to get married to a christian girl who is a divorcee and is 3 yrs elder to me. I have been dating her since last two years and finally decided to get married. She is ready to convert to Islam just to marry me. Can you pls. help me know the procedure of converting to Islam and how to influence her belief and faith in Islam. Allah maaf kare but we dont follow a proper Islam in terms of Namaz, Roza and involed in other sinful activities. Request you to pray for me, May Allah bless me with a true Islam. 2) Christians are termed as ahle kitaab. so can we marry them without converting? 3) I had lived with this girl for last 2 yrs and have been involve in sinful activities. After her conversion her sins would be washed off as said in religious book, then what about me? 4) how can i correct myself.


(Fatwa: 222/170=L/1430)

(1) If she wants to embrace Islam wholeheartedly considering Islam as true religion, then take her to any nearer madrasa and make her recite the kalmiah. Also, teach her Talimul Islam, Bahishti Zewar etc or if you do not know you should learn it first by any alim and then get her learn it. Ask her to know how to offer salah and memorize some surah by heart.

(2) Today’s Christians and Jews are generally atheists, they neither believe in God nor prophet; therefore it is unlawful to marry such Christians and Jews without their conversion to Islam.

(3) You should also repent to Allah sincerely and have firm intention not to repeat the acts in future, in-shaAlah your sins will be purged away. We should not lose hope in Allah’s mercy, since those who lose hope in Allah’s mercy are infidels. The hadith also says: ?the mercy of Allah overcame His wrath.?

Allah (Subhana Wa Ta’ala) knows Best

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Read answers with similar topics: