Reading at Local Mosque

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Askmufti.co.za

Q: Is there a hadith stating that I have to pray at my local mosque? Since it is Ramadan, I have been praying taraweeh at a mosque where I am taught the Quran. This mosque is not my local mosque.

I have recently heard that we will be asked about not praying at our local mosque on the day of judgement. Is this also true?

A. It is best to perform Salaah at the Masjid that is nearest to you in your area. If two Masjids are the same distance from your house, preference will be given to the older Masjid of the two.

It is discouraged to go to a Masjid farther away and not attend at the nearest Masjid unless there is a reason.

REASONS ARE: to attend a Deeni programme, a lecture, lessons, etc. or one has always belonged to the Jamaat of the Masjid that is further.

It wont be a sin to attend the mosque you are going to.

Allah Ta’aala knows best.

Moulana Yusuf Laher

This answer was collected from AskMufti.co.za, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Siraj Desai of Darul-Uloom Abubakr, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: Askmufti.co.za