Ruling on exchanging gold jewelry

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by TheMufti.com

Q. When I go for Umrah to Makkah, I take my gold and exchange it for gold at the jewellery shops. If I exchange my gold chain that weights 100 grams for a gold ring and gold bangle that weights 150 grams, is this correct Islamically?

A. In terms of Shariah, if one is exchanging gold for gold, the weight of each one must be equal. Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said:

“Do not sell gold for gold and silver for silver unless it is equal in weight” (Muslim)

As such, if one is exchanging a gold chain that weighs 100 grams for a gold ring and gold bangle that weighs 150 grams, it will not be permissible and it would constitute interest (Riba). It will only be permissible to exchange it if both, the gold chain and the gold ring and bangle equally weigh a 100 grams. (Hidaayah 2/39)

N.B. This ruling applies even if the gold karats differ.

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

This answer was collected from TheMufti.com, which is a fatwa portal managed by Mufti Ismaeel Bassa from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: TheMufti.com