What Is the Ruling of Praying in Front of the Picture of an Animal?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: Assalam ‘aleykum,

What is the ruling of praying in front of the picture of an animal?

Answer: Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are in the best of health and faith, insha’Allah.

The general ruling is that it is disliked to pray towards a picture, or in a room containing pictures, as it bears resemblance to a form of worship.

However, if the picture is not in your normal line of sight– i.e. not in your field of vision when looking towards your place of prostration, as per the sunna– the dislikedness would be lessened, and if high up, may be excused altogether.

This is in the case of a complete, detailed picture of a living being. Otherwise, it would be considered an outline and excused.

See also: Can I Have Pictures in my House? Can I Pray in a Room having Pictures in it?

And Allah alone gives success.

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from: Seekersguidance.org