Q: There are old ladies in my extended family with very deviated and corrupted beliefs. For everything they run to Darghas, brushing themselves with peacock feathers at these places, calling unto Hadhrat Sayyid Abdul Qadir Jeelaani (rahmatullahi ‘alaih), having their annual ‘Keer Puree Niyaaz,’ getting Taweez’s from fusaaq and women who work with strange men and other nonsense. Furthermore, they spend their time gossiping over the phone, are regulars on the Hindu films and series that air all day and are avid with newspaper reading. They have no time for Salaah apparently. Their lives are also miserable with a number of health problems caused by overeating and drinking Fanta, Coke etc. the whole day. Even that, they proudly mention how their daughters work as an airhostess or even a TV news reporter. Many times, we have received calls at odd hours of the day to watch their daughter bareheaded and exposed on international news. Or how healthy and good lives their daughters live since they are regular at the gym or studying medicine in a distant university (without a mahram). The thinking is completely corrupted. My extended family are Berelwis.
(1) How can we work to correct them – even slowly and amicable? I get extremely frustrated when they mention all the difficulties they face and how hard everything is for them, when I feel that this is nothing but a direct consequence of all the Bid’ah nonsense they perpetrate at the expense of Shariah. Even with Bid’ah aside, everything else is corrupted. These are old women.
(2) I am a male. With the exception the Bid’ah nonsense, how can I prevent my own understanding and thinking to be diverted and polluted to such an evil extent, as I grow older?
(3) Should we make Du’a to Allah Ta’ala to hasten the coming of Imaam Mahdi (Alayhis Salaam) so that we can be safeguarded from such Dajjali and Shaytaani effects currently around us?
1. Respectfully encourage their men to link up with some righteous sunnat adhering ulama-e-kiraam. Their men will thereafter guide the womenfolk.
2. The Qur’aan and Hadeeth command us to follow the path of the righteous, and be in their company as much as you can adopting their ways, teachings, beliefs and conduct.
3. Rather make du`aa for your protection in whichever way Allah Ta`ala wishes to protect you.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.