Error in the suppliers calculation

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I do accounts for a muslim person. Recently a situation arose where we owed a supplier R100.00 (for example) according to my books but according to the supplier he said we owed him R50.00 only.The reason for the difference is for an error in calculation on the suppliers part. I pointed this out to my employer but he still chose to stay quiet. What should I do? Is what he is doing correct?


A: If you have informed your employer of the error, you are absolved of your responsibility.

And Allah Ta’ala knows best.

وَأَطِيعُوا اللَّـهَ وَأَطِيعُوا الرَّسُولَ فَإِن تَوَلَّيْتُمْ فَإِنَّمَا عَلَىٰ رَسُولِنَا الْبَلَاغُ الْمُبِينُ (سورة التغابن)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!