1. What is the period of iddat after divorce?
2. When does it apply?
3. If a woman is seperated from her husband for the last one year, then whats her iddat period?
1. The passing of three menstrual cycles. However, if the wife is pregnant, then the iddat period will be till she gives birth.
2. Immediately after the talaaq is issued, the iddat starts.
3. By the mere separation, talaaq does not take place and the nikaah does not break. Hence, iddat does not become compulsory.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Zakaria Makada
Checked & Approved:
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)