Q: With regards to black Friday fatwas below, I would like some clarification on the maslas:
1) From what I understand, since black Friday is a kuffar custom, it would thus be haram for a Muslim business owner to have a black Friday sale. Is this a correct?
2) From the above fatwas and discussion, it seems that even to go to a shop and purchase items on a black friday sale would be makrooh?( due to resembling kuffar, adding to the crowd etc and the relative ahadith) Is this correct, what is rank would this fall into haram, makrooh tanzihi tahrimi, permissible ? If a person needs eg nappies, could get it from a shop having the sale, he shouldn’t do so?
3) If a person buys items online, securing the sale price, then picks up the items at week later, or has them delivered to him, so now he is not celebrating the kuffar custom, nor adding to the numbers of the crowd, would this be permissible now. Would there be any level of karahat in this. If there be any level of karahat, would this not be making things difficult for the lay man, to get the item one week later and pay much more.
1. It is not appropriate for him to have a sale.
2. If it is from among the symbols of the kuffaar then obviously it is impermissible, but if it is the custom of the fussaaq and fujjaar it will be makrooh.
He should avoid such places and shops where this type of a sale is being conducted.
3. The sale will be permissible.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)