Random Q&A

Changing one’s age

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: In Pakistan it is possible by unfair means to reduce your age on a official level. So 5 years ago when I was I a child 12 or 13 years old I don’t have much knowledge about Deen, what’s right, what’s wrong. I wasn’t aware of the result of the act my father did. Five years ago my father reduced my age just by one year. So now I’m 18 but according to legal papers I’m 17. And because of that act I have to lie every where I go. I can’t reverse the act because if I go and increase my age then all my educational degrees would become false and fraud. So I feel very guilty about the act my father did to me. I have to lie everywhere and I am facing a lot of problems because of that act. My questions are:

1. Is my father responsible for every sin I earn because of telling lie about my age?

2. What should I do? lie my whole life?

3. I’ve forgiven my father but I can’t forget what he’s done to me. So tell me a way to forget.



1 – 2. There is no point in making him responsible, for you have the ability to reverse the situation.

3. Think of how many wrongs you have done in the rights of Allah Ta`ala. Does not Allah forgive you in spite of all the wrongs that you have committed. If Allah Ta`ala were to hold a grudge against you for all the wrongs you have committed what will be your fate.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics: