1. Should a nikaah be performed on a Friday say after Jumma salaat can the walima has be held on the Sunday?
2. Should the groom not have enough finances to host a walimah, can the boy and girl have a joined function where expenses are halved and both parties contribute?
3. Should the groom not have finances can just the walima be held?
4. In today’s time there has come about a thing of reception which is held after the nikaah but before the walimah. Is this allowed ? And should this be allowed? Can it be that there is a Friday nikaah and Saturday reception but with no walima?
2 – 3. The sunnat is that the boy should host the waleemah.
4. Reception is an innovation. The dawat after nikaah is supposed to be from the boy’s side.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)
This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.