Making the second rakaat longer than the first rakaat

Q: I am a Sunni Hanafi. While praying four rakaat sunnah, I recite Surah Mutaffifin. I recite first 6 ayahs is first rakaat, ayahs 7 to 17 in second rakaat, ayahs 18 -29 in 3 rakaat and ayahs 30 to 36 in the last rakaat. Am I doing it correctly? Kindly advise.

A: You should not make your second rakaat longer than the first rakaat. The principle in regard to qiraat is that in all Salaah (fardh, waajib, sunnat or nafil) the first rakaat should be longer than the second rakaat. If the second rakaat is longer than the first rakaat by three verses or more, then it will be makrooh.