Q: Please advise regarding the actions of the night:
1. Is it necessary to close all doors and windows of the house from maghrib till after sunrise?
2. If so, must it be done in even hot weather or with a window in the toilet room as well?
3. Must a utensil, like a plastic jug, kept in a toilet-bathroom that is used expressly for the purpose of holding water for istinja also be covered at night?
4. If so, can the water in such a utensil that was not covered at night be used for istinja?
5. Should even adults avoid leaving the home or standing around outside unnecessarily from maghrib till after sunrise?
6. Must one avoid cutting trees and plants, gardening, picking flowers etc. from maghrib till after sunrise?
7. Would (Question 6) apply to indoor plants as well? 8. Also, is it alright to have plants growing indoors? Like a vase of flowers, a tree, or a pot plant?
1. No. It is advisable to close the doors as the evening approaches until the night has settled i.e. around Esha and just after Esha.
2. This is only with reference to the entrances and exits of the home. This is in order to keep the children in the home so that they do not go out around this time.
3. These utensils are not meant for drinking. Drinking utensils should be covered.
5. It is permissible for adults.
6. There is no basis for this.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)