1

Women Attending Congregational Funeral Prayer

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Mathabah.org
Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail

Answered by Shaykh Yūsuf Badāt

Question:

Is it permissible for women to attend the funeral prayer and offer the funeral prayer in congregation?

Ad by Muslim Ad Network

Answer:

Jazāk Allāh Khayr/ Thank you for your question.

Imam Ḥākim Al-Nayshāpūrī (may Allāh’s mercy be with him) has quoted an authentic (ṣaḥīḥ) ḥadīth in his monumental work, Al-Mustadrak, and there after stated, “This is clear evidence of the permissibility relating to the women’s funeral prayer upon the deceased”.

The narration Imam Ḥākim (may Allāh’s mercy be with him) refers to is a report on the authority of ʿAbd Allāh bin Abū Talḥa (may Allāh be pleased with him) from his father Abū Talḥa (may Allāh be pleased with him), who stated,

“I invited the Messenger of Allāh (peace and blessings upon him) regarding ʿUmayr (may Allāh be pleased with him) when he had passed away. The Messenger of Allāh (peace and blessings upon him) came to us and offered the funeral prayer for him in our home. The Messenger of Allāh (peace and blessings upon him) moved forward [to lead], while I stood behind him and Umm Sulaym (may Allāh be pleased with her) stood behind me”. (Mustadrak & Talkhīṣ)

It is worthy to note, that in congregations where sisters are attending the funeral prayers, congregants must adhere to Islamic etiquettes related to modest apparel, respect and responsible gender interaction.

And Allāh Knows Best

Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail