Jaame Masjid is registered as a charity with the Charity Commission. The Commission has advised that the Masjid should consider registering with HMRC to benefit from Gift Aid. We would appreciate if you can answer the following questions:
- Is it permissible for the Masjid to register for Gift Aid and receive money from HMRC?
- If yes, can Gift Aid be claimed on (a) membership fees and (b) Lillah (general) donations?
- What can the Gift Aid money be used for in the Masjid?
بسم الله الرحمن الرحیمAnswer
- It is permissible. The gift aid money that is received from HMRC is unconditional and it is in reality reclaiming tax paid by the donor and thereby increasing the overall donation.
- This is a technical question for which you should seek professional advice.
- The gift aid money can be used in any way the Masjid management regard suitable.
Allah knows best
26 Jumādā al-Thāniyah 1439 / 14 March 2018
Approved by: Mufti Shabbir Ahmed and Mufti Muhammad Tahir