Charging commission without telling the owner

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

Assalamualaikum mufti sahab ….my question is. if i sold the car of other person and without telling him if i keep some money from the sold price of the car is it haram for me?

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

If you did not notify the owner before selling the car that you will be taking a commission, then you will be a Wakeel (representative) of the owner in selling the car. In this case, you will have to give the owner all the money accrued from the sale, and it will not be permissible for you to keep anything without his knowledge and permission.

However, if you did inform the owner prior to the sale that you will take a portion, and he agreed, then you may keep that portion.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

References

الدلال لو باع العين بنفسه بإذن مالكه ليس له أخذ الدلالة من المشتري إذ هو العاقد حقيقة وتجب الدلالة على البائع إذا قبل بأمر البائع  ( مجمع الضمانات- 1/ 345)

(قوله: فأجرته على البائع) وليس له أخذ شيء من المشتري؛ لأنه هو العاقد حقيقة شرح الوهبانية وظاهره أنه لا يعتبر العرف هنا؛ لأنه لا وجه له. (رد المحتار – 4/ 560)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .

Find more answers indexed from: Fatwaa.com