Having a tenant who sells alcohol.

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by DarulUloomTT.net

Q. I would like to know if I have intentions of leasing out a part of my property and the tenant decides to sell alchol and certain meats, would this be acceptable in our Muslim Faith?

A. Owing to the nature of the intended business, (which will be conducted on your property) it will not be permissible for you to lease a part of your property to the intended tenant. Based on the teachings of Islam, it is clear that the act of selling alcohol is totally unlawful in Islam, and a Muslim has been forbidden from becoming a part of this sin in any form or manner. Seeing that your premises would be used for this purpose, it means that you would automatically become a part of this wrong doing, which is not allowed for a Muslim.

It is also possible that the monies which would be paid to you in rent would probably come from sales of alcohol and unlawful meats. This itself is an unlawful income and it would not be permissible for you to accept such monies.

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Waseem Khan

This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

Find more answers indexed from: DarulUloomTT.net