Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » Can I marry a revert?

Can I marry a revert?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

Assalamualaikum, in 20 yr Muslim girl n want to marry a boy he is non Muslim but he’s ready to revert and even do namaz 5 times and even perform haj. It’s just I don’t think my parents will accept him because he has lil bad past n even he is reverted Muslim. But it’s that I know I will be happy with him but I don’t want to hurt my parents neither go against Islam. So should I tell him that we will wait for 4 years and focus on our future and after that we will talk to parents or by telling this in giving him false hope. Or shall I say no and Don’t Marry him even in future. How will I know the will of Allah. And that he is my future husband because Allah has already written one. Should I perform istekhara namaz , is this haram or it’s okay within the limits . Should I tell him n make confirmation I will marry him n let us focus on future or should I say him no. N wait for miracle to happen. 


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, The Most Merciful.

As-salaamu `alaykum wa-ramatullahi wa-barakatuh.

Sister in Islam,

At the outset, we advise you that it is haram (strictly prohibited) and a major sin to be in contact with the boy. You should terminate all contact with him. You should discuss this issue with your parents and seek their wise counsel. They will advise you whatever is best for you. You are of a marriageable age and you wish to marry, you should not hide your feelings and intention from your parents. Bring up the courage and discuss your intention with your parents openly.

Also turn to Allah with salaah, zikr and dua and ask Allah for courage and guidance.

And Allah Ta`ala Knows Best.

Hussein Muhammad.

Student Darul Iftaa

Arusha, Tanzania

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

This answer was collected from Askimam.org, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Ebrahim Desai from South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: