Answered by Shaykh Amjad Rasheed
I lent one of my relatives a sum of money. I was not sure whether or not he would return it. Then, he re-paid the debt. Am I obliged to pay zakat on it? How do I calculate the amount?
If the amount of the debt reaches the nisab (the minimum that necessitates zakat), and a full lunar year has elapsed, then it is a debt that it is obligatory to pay zakat on for every lunar year. However, every year, one subtracts the amount of zakat that was due for the preceding year.
For example, if the debt amounted to 10,000 Dinars and the debt went on for 5 years, he pays 250 Dinars for the first year (which is the zakat payable on 10,000 Dinars). Then, he pays 243.75 Dinars for the second year (the zakat payable on the [remaining] 9750 Dinars, because one subtracts the 250 Dinars that was the zakat payable for the 1st year and so on).
Read these QA to learn more..
- I HAVE QUESTIONS RELATING TO ZAKAT: 1) IS IT NECESSARY TO PAY OFF ZAKAT AS SOON AS IT IS COUNTED OR IT MAY BE PAID OFF ROUND THE YEAR? 2) IF I HAVE GOT CASH OR STOCK WHICH IS NOT ONE YEAR OLD, DO I NEED TO COUNT ZAKAT ON THAT AMOUNT? 3) IS IT NECESSARY TO INFORM THE RECIEVER, THE AMOUNT IS FROM ZAKAT? 4)IS IT O.K. IF I CALCULATE ZAKAT ON STOCK ACCORDING TO PURCHASE RATE AS THE SELLING RATE IS NOT CERTAIN. AND MOREOVER WHAT I EARN FROM THE STOCK WILL NATURALLY REFLECT IN MY CASH NEXT YEAR.
- Assalamualekum Mufti Sahab I want to know 1- How to calculate Zakat on CPF( Central Provident Fund),CPF is like Employee Provident Fund.In CPF amount will be deposited from Employee salary deduction and company contribution. And CPF will be given at the time of retirement a) I understand Zakat is payable when we possess the money, Shall we calculate the zakat for all those year when money was getting deposited or for the year when we get the money ?? 2- How to calculate Zakat on Insurance Policies which will get mature in 25 years time (if I withdraw from policy no return will be given.)?Shall we pay zakat for every annual premium or only for the year when we get the money ? 3- How to calculate Zakat for Life Time policy( In life time policy fund will be invested in market and value can increase and decrease depending on market conditions), maturity date is after 25 years.This type of Policy has some surrender value if I want to withdraw from the policy. Do we need to pay when policy get mature or we are suppose to pay each year on surrender value or we need to pay at the time of maturity for every year. 4-Can we generalize the method of calculation for all the savings and Investments which get locked for certain period ? Should we calculate Zakat at the time of maturity of policy(liquidation of Investment) for that year only ?? or we should calculate zakat for all the previous year ?? or Shall we calculate each year ?? Jazakallah.
- Q: I had a couple of questions about Zakat: I became saahib-e-nisaab in Rabi-al-Awwal. However in order to gain the blessings of Ramadan I wanted to give my zakat during that month. In 1433 I gave my zakat funds in Rabi-al-Awwal as per my cycle, and in Ramadan 1433 (same year) I gave zakat on the estimated amount I would have in the following year- Rabi-al-Awwal 1434 (which I then verified in Rabi-al-Awwal to ensure the full zakat had been discharged based on the actual amount I had). Is it now possible for me to switch my zakat cycle to every Ramadan? Or if I have to pay in Ramadan, do I still have to calculate it each year based on the projected amount for the next Rabi-al-Awwal? My brother and mother had asked me to pay Zakat to someone on their behalf and then they would transfer the funds later. I made the payment and then we later forgot to do the transfer and I just came across the amounts in a note I made back then. I don’t really want to take the money from them money now – would their obligation be fulfilled if I paid the zakat on their behalf from my money and didn’t take it from them?
- Assalamualikum, I thought of giving Rs 1500 to needy people every month from my Salary and Alhamdulillah I was doing the same from one or two years. Now my parents thing that it might be difficult for me to give Zakat amount which may be approx RS 15000 and they are telling me to do Niyat as Zakat for the amount which I am paying every month as Rs 1500, so that in 10 months the Zakat will be paid over. (The amount Rs 1500 is given to one of our relative whose husband is expired and she has a small kid, I am sending it to my parents and they are given it to her) I am staying in rented house for which intially I have given RS 42,000 as a deposit and the rent is Rs 7000. I thought every month I have to pay the rent, after the first month I told to my house owner I want to pay Rs 7000 rent, he said you have already paid RS 42,000 and no need to pay the rent every month, once the amount is over in 6 months, you have to pay for another 6 month Rs 42,000. Now I have the 3 months rent rs 7000 each (i.e., RS 21,000) with me, I wanted to give Zakat from this amount and I wish not to stop Rs 1500 which I am given it to needy every month. If I pay Zakat from this amount, I will not be having Rs 42,000 to pay to my house owner as 6 months rent which I have to pay after 3 months, but I believe Allah will arrange some amount Inshallah. The six months amount Rs 42,000 owner has mentioned in the agreement that I should pay without fail. I have not told about the amount which I have with me (i.e., RS 21,000) to my parents, as if I tell them they will ask for the money as they have…
- I have given Rs.1000 once and Rs. 500 twice to one of my close relatives(to whom Zakat can be given)through Bank. At that time I had not made Niyat of Zakat. My question is that is it possible to consider the payment done by me in the head of Zakat when I calculate it at the end of the year, if I make niyat of Zakat now. Also, if I pay Zakat on monthly basis and rest of the total amount at year end then the payment done by me (monthly) will be adjusted from total amount.Is it correct. Please guide me in this regard.
- I have a question regarding zakat. 1) I have 1-lakh in my bank account and I have kept this money to use after 20 years and i paid zakat 2500 last year (2.5%). This year i didn’t made to add in it so the amount with me is 97,500. so do i need to pay zakat again for this amount 97,500. 2)I have local account where my montly salary comes and i also use for my expenses from that account. so how should i calculate the zakat. Jazakumullah..khair