Questions on a Mazoor’s Imamat
With reference to my earlier question on whether a mazur can lead the salah, thank you for the answer. Now after reading the answers I have some more doubts.
1) I am always pushed ahead to lead the salaah as I am good in it. How do I refuse them without embarrassing my self. Also the others at my work place or not good in leading the salah so would it be good if I pray alone without a Jamaa’h.
2) What about all the salaahs that I had lead before. Will they be null and void. I had lead salaahs at different places whilst travelling with different people following me. Do they have to repeat their salaahs? How do I inform all of them to repeat it? Most of them I do not remember and do not know.
3) In my place when offering salaah other people just come and tap on my shoulder to indicate that they want to join the salaah behind me and I used to lead them. How do I avoid such a situation in the future? Also is it right for any person to indicate someone who is already praying to lead the salah by coming from behind.?
In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.
1. There are two ways you can approach the situation. Firstly, you can say it clearly that you have a chronic illness and you are unable to lead the salah. The second way is that you use deliberate ambiguity or Tareedh. An example of this can be found in the following hadith: The Prophet of Allah Sallallahu Alahi Wasalam said: “If one of you makes something (passes wind) in Salah, he should hold his nose (as though it is bleeding) and leave (the Salah)” (Sunan Abi Dawud & Sunan Ibn Majah)
Allamah Tibi (RA) has said: “This is not a lie, rather it is a kind of ambiguity. This concession is granted so that the Shaitan will not trick him into staying put because of feeling embarrassed in front of people. (Mirqatul Mafateeh p.18 v.3)
This is a kind of ambiguity that is permitted to avoid any embarrassment. Similarly, in your situation if you use words such as “I am not well or I am not feeling well” then that will be permissible.
2. You will have to repeat them. Those people who you can tell then you should inform them.
3. You should continue with your salah as normal without becoming the Imam and then explain to the brother who has joined you in one of the two following ways.
Only Allah Knows Best
Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham