Home » Shafi'i Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Should I give up a medical degree due to contact with male patients?

Should I give up a medical degree due to contact with male patients?

Answered by Ustadha Raidah Shah Idil

Question: Assalam aleykum,

When studying medicine, you are required to put catheters in both male and female patients. As a female Muslim, I don’t feel it would be right to go into Medicine knowing this is required of me. Should I become a doctor because of this?

Answer: Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray this finds you well. May Allah reward you for reaching out to us.

Medicine

In short, yes, women can and need to study Medicine.

Being a female doctor is a fardhul kifayah (communally obligation). Because of the necessity of training in this field, then certain things can be permitted.

I encourage you to read these links:

Choosing a Medical Career and Following Gender Interaction Rules
Fiqh of Females Seeking Medical Treatment

I encourage you to perform the Prayer of Guidance about how to proceed. Please watch what Allah unfolds for you.

Education

Dear sister, you sound sound intelligent, decisive and desirous of what is pleasing to Allah.

If studying Medicine does not sit well with you because of the physical contact with male patients, then perhaps you can consider a different career path.

I encourage you to read the book “Green Deen” by Ibrahim Abdul-Matin. He describes the need for our brightest minds to solve the burgeoning crisis of energy management. Perhaps this is something you can consider.

I pray that Allah guides you to whatever is best for your deen and your dunya.

Wassalam,
[Ustadha] Raidah Shah Idil

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Ustadha Raidah Shah Idil has spent almost two years in Amman, Jordan, where she learned Shafi’i’ fiqh, Arabic, Seerah, Aqeedah, Tasawwuf, Tafsir and Tajweed. She continues to study with her Teachers in Malaysia and online through SeekersHub Global. She graduated with a Psychology and English degree from University of New South Wales, was a volunteer hospital chaplain for 5 years and has completed a Diploma of Counselling from the Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors. She lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, with her husband, daughter, and mother-in-law.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

I bought shares in a listed company over a period of 7 years.  The shares were bought at various prices; some were at a higher price than the current share price, and some were bought at a lower price than the current share price. Some were bought with my own money, and some were bought with money borrowed on a 0% credit card. I recently discovered that the company is haram because it has no earnings, except from interest, and has large debt on which it pays interest. I understand that I must sell the shares, and any profit made has to be donated to charity. I need some advice on how to go about selling the shares, as the total value of my holding is less than what I paid/invested. Some shares are in profit, the majority are in a loss.  There are a few options available: 1)      Wait until the total value of the shares is equal to the  money I invested, and sell. This means that some share will be in profit,  and some will be at loss, but the profit cancels out the loss. 2)      Sell shares as each lot/tranche of shares reaches the price that I paid for them. Donate any excess to charity. This means that it may take  a long time to dispose of the shares, as the price will have to at least double. In fact, the price may never reach what I paid. Do I need to treat the shares purchased by borrowing money on credit card separately to the shares purchased using my own money. How should I deal with transaction costs? If it cost me £12 to buy 10 000 shares at 10p, and it costs me £12 to sell the shares, I have lost £24.