Spent Stolen Money: What Can I Do to Make it Right?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: When I was a young  I stole money to pay  the house’s rent and other things. Now I have  repented. What should I do about all the money I have already spent to buy food and pay rent?  Should I estimate how much money I have used and give it to charity?

Answer: Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are in the best of health and faith, insha’Allah.

Yes, you should calculate the entire sum of stolen wealth and then strive to get it back to the owner.

If this is difficult or not possible, you should give it away in charity on their behalf.

And sincerely ask Allah for forgiveness for your mistakes by performing the ablution well, then performing two cycles of the Prayer of Repentance (salat al-tawba). [see: Prayer of Repentance: Salat al-Tawba]

See also: Returning Stolen Property and: How Do I Repent From the Theft I Committed Many Years Ago When I Was a Teenager?

And Allah alone gives success.


Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest